Wednesday, January 9, 2008

After Iowa, Before New Hampshire.

As the results rolled in on the evening of the Caucus, Obama and Huckabee became the proclaimed leaders. Obama I had expected and personally caucused for, but Huckabee I had rarely even heard about save side articles about his ... interesting views and past behavior (probably some in the realm of conspiracy).

Now,when Huckabee won, I was not alone in wondering how and why. I had no idea he was that popular. Well, the pundits and their friends decided it was because of Iowa's large Evangelical population.

Wait, What? I've lived here for quite a while and have never really noticed that strong of an Evangelical community. I went to a predominately white public grade and middle school, and then to a Catholic High School. Even in the public schools I knew more Catholics and agnostic/atheists... Quite a few Lutherans too, but are they really 'evangelical'?
I only know of a few real evangelicals...

My take on all of this is that the Reporters that be couldn't figure out what happened, so they went with the best guess they had: Evangelism. I think it might be the overall repitition of the word 'Change.'

We'll see how this plays out tonight in New Hampshire in a few hours. Putting Guiliani's continued repitition of "9/11" with Hillary's Tears and the Obama (and Edwards and Huckabee) vague message of 'Change.'


Let's see how this plays out.

No comments: